Create Dataset and Add Virtual Tables
- Create a new dataset by clicking ‘+ New’ in the top right of the top navbar or from the org library page.
- Click ‘Create new dataset’.
- Name your dataset and place it in your company org. (Don't have an org yet? Create one here: https://data.world/create-organization). Click ‘Create dataset’.
Note: ‘No one’ means only you, org admins, and anyone you explicitly add will be able to view the dataset. ‘All of ORGNAME’ (in this case, DEMO Corp) means the entire org will be able to view the dataset.
- Optionally provide a description, and click ‘Add data’.
- Under My Integrations, select your Snowflake connection.
- Click ‘Use live connection’. (Note: Data extracts are disabled by default for Snowflake in favor of live connections. If necessary to extract subsets of data, save it as a derivative dataset.)
- Select the tables you would like to link as virtualized, live tables. Click ‘Import X tables’.
- Save the configuration and actually generate the virtual live tables, along with data profiling statistics, by clicking ‘Continue’.
- Once the bar is done loading, you are ready to explore the metadata, add documentation, and perform queries on the data itself.
Query the Data
- Click ‘Explore this dataset’ in the top right corner of your dataset.
- Select a table in the left hand navigation. Click a column icon to view data profiling statistics information. Click Edit to add data dictionary documentation. This view is called the ‘Workspace’ -- for more information on all the awesome power and productivity you can get out of it, check out Quickstart to navigating the project workspace.
- Click ‘>_ Query’ or click ‘+ Add’ and choose SQL Query from the dropdown to create a SQL query. Click Save to name and save your query and share it with others. Download data or open with your favorite data science or visualization tool.
Share with your colleagues
- Navigate to your org homepage and click the People tab.
- Click the Invite button.
- Search and autocomplete based on username or email address. Set the role that you would like those individuals to have (Members can view and suggest, Content Contributors can edit and create, Admins can add users, manage org settings, and edit everything). Choose Private Member for visibility.
- Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or issues you have as you experience the Free Trial.
- Reach out to email@example.com and we'd love to do a free consultation on your data challenges and do a live walkthrough demo of the software.
- Also, inquire about additional functionality like metadata crawling, lineage, governance, and usage metrics that data.world offers. This step-by-step walkthrough went through a quick tour of the connection and dataset creation experience, but data.world has much more to offer!