An organization on data.world is a customized account that allows members and groups of members to be linked. This allows for easier sharing of data between the organization and it's members, as well as between the organization members. The organization can control who has access to what, and also has control over what is shared from members to the rest of the organization.
Who should create an organization?
If you manage or are affiliated with a group with any of the following needs, a data.world organization account might be a good fit:
- You publish data on behalf of an organization and you'd like to have a single place to store and share it with others.
- You're a part of a group of people who work on data projects together and would like a single space to manage your projects, datasets, and easily share across the group.
- Your group has members who would like to be notified when you add or update data.
Set up & management:
To create an organization on data.world, first log into the platform using the individual account who will be the owner of the organization and follow the following steps. Note that you will be able to add additional administrators later if needed:
- Navigate to your Organization Settings page by clicking on your avatar image in the top-right corner, then select Settings and then Organizations. You can also go directly to https://data.world/settings/organizations.
- Click the New organization button.
- On the Create an organization form, select the username to use for your Organization as well as the display name. The username will be used to form the URL for the organization's page on data.world and the display name should be the full name of your organization:
- The individual account you're logged in with will automatically be set as the administrator.
- Invite additional administrators or members to your organization by entering their name or username for existing data.world members, or enter their email address and click the 'invite <email> to data.world' option to invite them to both data.world and your organization:
- After adding any members (and you can also do this later), click finish which will take you to the organization's profile page. From here, go to the Settings tab to upload a profile photo and add your organization details:
- In additional to the shorter 'About' field, add a more detailed summary for the organization under the Details tab on your org page using markdown.
- At any time, return to your organization page to manage the members under the People tab.
Adding organizational tags:
Tags that describe your organization and will help others to discover your organization are also supported, but currently are configured by the data.world team. If you’d like organizational tags added or modified on your account, request this by submitting a support ticket.
Managing your organization:
- Adding and managing members
- Creating datasets and Data Projects as an organization
- Sharing datasets and Data Projects
If run into any issues or questions, please contact us.