Owners of datasets or Data Projects can proactively invite specific users to contribute, or approve incoming requests from users who feel they have something to contribute. Either way, the owner controls what each contributor can do by granting view-only, view + edit, or view, edit and manage permissions. Here's what each of those allow a contributor to do:
View-only: primarily used for private datasets and projects, this allows the user to simply view the dataset or project. As part of that, the contributor can:
- Download any of the files.
- Query the data and export results.
- View and comment in either public or private discussions.
- Create new discussion topics.
View + edit: in addition to the view-only permissions, the contributor can:
- Make edits to descriptions and summaries.
- Add and remove tags.
- Add and remove files.
- Replace files by uploading new versions with the same name.
- Modify file and column descriptions.
- Modify license type.
- Switch the dataset or project between open and private.
- Publish queries for others to use.
View, edit and manage: The contributor will have full admin controls to the dataset or project. In addition to the view + edit permissions, they can:
- Delete the dataset or project.
- Add, remove and modify contributors.